As dogs age, they often experience painful inflammation in their joints, decreasing their mobility and quality of life. Powerful pharmaceuticals may relieve their symptoms, but they also carry a long list of potentially harmful side effects. Concerned dog parents are left searching for safer, more natural options.
Certain herbs, essential oils, and dietary supplements act as anti-inflammatories for dogs, but which offer the most relief and “bang for your buck?”
What is Inflammation in Dogs?
Inflammation is the body’s way of fighting off infection and foreign substances in times of injury or illness. When your dog suffers from an injury, white blood cells rush to the site to provide protection. As a result, the area becomes red, warm, and swollen – proof the body’s defenses are working hard to heal the problem. This is known as acute inflammation.
Chronic inflammation occurs when your dog’s body is trying to fight off a long-term illness or degenerative condition. In the case of chronic joint pain, the hips, knees, shoulders, etc. remain in a constant state of inflammation. Treatment with an anti-inflammatory for dogs will help prevent the problem from worsening and causing additional health problems.
Why should you choose a natural anti-inflammatory for dogs?
As mentioned above, anti-inflammatory drugs for dogs may cause harmful side effects. Veterinary non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs) such as Rimadyl, Deramaxx, and Previcox can potentially cause behavioral changes, appetite loss, vomiting, and diarrhea.
Your dog’s kidneys and liver are responsible for processing these medications. Over time, they can lead to irreversible damage to these organs. In some cases, they may even cause acute organ failure in particularly sensitive pets. Although rare, every veterinarian has at least one cautionary tale of fatal overdoses involving NSAID use.
When you choose a natural anti-inflammatory for dogs, the list of possible side effects becomes far shorter and much less severe. These products are safe for long-term use, and if given correctly, can be incredibly effective at reducing pain and inflammation.
Dog-Safe Anti-Inflammatory Options
Below are some of the most effective herbs, essential oils, and supplements for the treatment of inflammation in dogs.
- Yucca contains saponin, which stimulates the body to produce its own corticosteroids and corticosteroid-related hormones.
- Feverfew is an herbal anti-inflammatory and pain reliever often utilized by humans suffering from migraines and arthritis pain.
- Cayenne contains the compound capsaicin which blocks pain. It also increases blood circulation and reduces inflammation when applied topically.
- Turmeric is a powerful antioxidant which neutralizes the free radicals that cause painful inflammation and damage to joints.
Certain essential oils act as natural herbal remedies to relieve pain and inflammation. These include:
- Glucosamine helps rebuild cartilage, reduce inflammation, and restore your dog’s joint function.
- Chondroitin Sulfate – When combined with glucosamine, chondroitin helps repair and build new, healthy tissue such as cartilage to protect joints.
- MSM is a natural compound that helps improve joint flexibility and reduce pain and inflammation.
- Krill Oil contains high concentrations of omega fatty acids, which help reduce inflammation.
- CBD Oil reduces pain and inflammation by interacting with your dog’s endocannabinoid system.
Why CBD Oil is the Ultimate Anti-Inflammatory for Dogs
CBD (cannabidiol) is one of dozens of compounds called cannabinoids found in hemp and marijuana plants. Most CBD oils made from hemp are naturally low in THC, the compound in marijuana that causes its psychoactive effects. Without THC, CBD oil is a safe, effective, and natural alternative to NSAIDs and other pharmaceuticals.
It works by interacting with the endocannabinoid system (or ECS). This system is made up of specialized receptors throughout the nervous system and body. Cannabinoids such as CBD relay instructions from the brain to the organs and immune system.
If the ECS is out of balance, it can cause chronic anxiety, altered sleep patterns, digestive problems, and of course, inflammatory responses throughout the body. Supplementing with CBD acts upon the endocannabinoid receptors to address imbalances and keep the brain and body in a more healthy state.
Many users are hailing CBD oil as the most powerful anti-inflammatory for dogs found in nature.
What Science Has To Say About CBD Oil As A Natural Anti-Inflammatory For Dogs:
We understand that dogs are family, and responsible pet parents need scientific evidence before starting a new therapeutic product. Below are dog-specific clinical studies on the safety of CBD as well as its efficacy as an anti-inflammatory.
- In 2016, Colorado State University confirmed that CBD oil is safe for use in dogs. They also found that administering CBD in tincture form is the best delivery method for absorption and bioavailability.
- A 2018 Cornell University study published in Frontiers in Veterinary Science found CBD to increase the comfort and activity of dogs suffering from arthritis when used twice a day.
- A randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial from Liberty Leaf Holdings, Ltd. demonstrated that dogs with osteoarthritis receiving CBD oil showed significantly reduced pain and improved functional performance.
Are All CBD Oils The Same?
Unfortunately, no. With the recent boom in CBD popularity, many companies want to get in on the action. When choosing CBD oil for your dog, we strongly encourage you to look for a product that is made in the USA from human-grade, organically-grown hemp.
It is also important to seek out a CBD product that is 100% free of THC. Removing all traces of THC requires an additional step in the manufacturing process, but it is the best way to ensure your dog’s safety. iHeartDogs recommends Cannanine™ Organic Hemp Oil with CBD.
View our 8 Things To Consider Before Buying CBD Oil for Your Dog for more helpful tips.
What Real Cannanine Users Are Saying:
The best thing I have ever done for my 200 pound Old English Mastiff was CBD oil she is 7 and we rescued her at 3 yrs old she was kept in a crate for 22 hours a day so she has terrible arthritis… so I medicate her 2 times a week and she runs and plays with my 2 puppers!! – Janell Michelle Cody
I purchased Cannanine CBD oil for my two Bull Terriers for two different reasons. One is 8.5 yrs old and has arthritis. After a couple doses 1 per day there was an amazing improvement. She is up and playing and running around with my 2.5 yr. old. My 2.5 yr old is very excitable and we bring them both to our [sic] campground. I tried it on her for calming effects. It seems to hit her the next day. Still experimenting with this. But for my 8.5 yr old it has brought back her quality of life. – Ann Fyfe
A lifesaver! I truly believe I would’ve already had to put her to sleep if not for it. – Suzanne Stanfield
CBD has done wonders for our 11 year old Rotti. You have to be very careful not to give them too much THC so choose your CBD carefully – Ken Tress
Are you ready to try Cannanine, the safe, high-quality anti-inflammatory for dogs? Click here to find out how to save on your purchase and how Cannanine helps feed shelter pets in need!
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. The information on this website is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified healthcare professional.