Did you know that Golden Retrievers are prone to joint problems like hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, and luxating patella? When you add in their love for vigorous play and extra treats, you have a recipe for one very painful pooch!
Here’s how CBD oil can help your beloved Golden battle the pain of damaged joints – and much more!
How Can CBD Help Your Golden Retriever?
Many Golden owners have recently discovered the benefits of CBD (cannabidiol) oil. Last year, several studies released data showing very promising results in using CBD to support a wide variety of uses in dogs.
Research is showing CBD may be useful to your Golden Retriever in the following ways:
- Supporting aging, painful, and stiff joints
- Fighting separation anxiety, noise anxiety, and travel anxiety – promoting a sense of calm
- Studies have shown CBD can reduce the occurrence of seizures in dogs
- Some research suggests CBD’s role as an anti-inflammatory can help relieve symptoms of allergies and itching in dogs, something many Goldens struggle with
What Dosage of CBD Should I Give to My Golden Retriever
Dosing CBD isn’t an exact science, and its important to find what works best for your Golden’s needs. Always start low and slow. While adverse reactions and side-effects to CBD are rare, sometimes the carrier oil can cause stomach upset in dogs if they take too much too soon. In general, here’s the CBD dosing range we’d recommend:
- 40 pounds: 4 mg – 20 mg
- 50 pounds: 5 mg – 25 mg
- 60 pounds: 6 mg – 30 mg
- 70 pounds: 7 mg – 35 mg
- 80 pounds: 8 mg – 40 mg
- 90 pounds: 9 mg – 45 mg
- 100+ pounds: 10 mg – 50 mg
For pain, you’ll need to allow 2-4 weeks to see best results. For anxiety, many owners see results in as little as 30-60 minutes.
What’s The Best Way to Give CBD Oil to a Golden Retriever?
Most Goldens are laid-back and accommodating, allowing you to place the CBD oil directly in their mouth with the dropper. This method allows for best and fastest absorption since the oil is absorbed sublingually (in the tongue and gums) and bypasses the digestive system.
If you happen to be the parent of a sassier Golden that won’t allow this method, don’t sweat it! You can also place CBD oil directly on their food or a favorite treat. We even offer bacon flavored CBD soft chews or baked treats for easy administration.
How to Find the Best CBD Oil for Your Dog
When choosing a hemp CBD product for your Golden, you’ll want to keep in mind the following important points:
- Always review the certificate of analysis (COA) to ensure the product contains CBD, and no THC which can be toxic to pets (most CBD oils contain trace amounts of THC). You can view an example of a COA here.
- Always choose a CBD oil made from organic hemp: The hemp plant has the unique ability to soak up toxins from the soil. As a result, choosing an organic product is an absolute must.
The Only CBD Oil Endorsed by iHeartDogs
Cannanine was developed specifically for dogs. In addition to being organic and 3rd party batch tested, each sale of our CBD oil provides healthy donated meals to animal shelters and rescue groups!